75 Ways to Help 'Marching Music's Major League' in 2010
With Drum Corps International units across the country digging in for the start of the 2010 summer tour which is just over two months away, now is a great time to think about what you can do to help support these outstanding organizations. Here's a list of 75 "Random Acts of Drum Corps" which we hope will get you thinking about the sunshine and marching music that awaits us this summer!
How else can fans of Marching Music's Major League™ lend a helping hand?
Share your thoughts on the DCI Facebook Fan Page!
1. Purchase a ticket
to a DCI event
2. Bring a friend, neighbor or family member to a show that’s never seen competitive drum corps before
3. Donate tickets to a DCI event to a local high school band or other group, such as Boy/Girl Scouts, Boys & Girls Clubs, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Veteran’s Association, local senior citizens’ centers
4. Donate to your favorite corps
5. Join the DCI mailing list and the lists of your favorite corps
6. Donate to the Friends of DCI Scholarship Fund
7. Participate in a member sponsorship program through your favorite corps
8. Inquire with your employer about matching gift options which may be available to multiply your donation
9. Purchase branded apparel from Drum Corps International
or your favorite corps
10. Join the DCI Fan Network
11. Donate a meal or a portion thereof to corps when they’re visiting your area
12. Volunteer for your favorite corps at a rehearsal camp, on the road, or at an event
13. Forward the weekly DCI.now newsletter to friends and encourage them to subscribe for themselves
14. Volunteer for a behind-the-scenes role at a DCI Premier Event, the DCI World Championships or at a DCI Tour event in your area
15. Purchase DCI audio and DVD video products
16. Update your will to include a memorial gift to your favorite corps
17. Reunite with your old marching buddies before, during and after a 2010 DCI Tour event
18. Talk with your employer about sponsoring a block of tickets for a local non-profit or other group
19. Attend the DCI cinema event “The Countdown,” Thursday May 13 at a theater near you
20. Donate gas cards to your favorite corps
21. Purchase a DCI Audio or Video Performance Download
22. Subscribe to Drum Corps International Magazine
23. Assist corps with obtaining housing and rehearsal space at a school in your area
24. Talk with local business owners and manufacturers in your area that offer goods and services which could be beneficial to your favorite corps
25. Attend DCI’s “Big, Loud & Live” World Championship Quarterfinals cinema event
26. Donate a portion of your eBay sales to the Drum Corps International MissionFish/Giving Works Account
27. Donate in-kind gifts of products needed by your favorite corps
28. Donate Visa gift cards or cards from outlets like Sam’s Club, BJ’s and Costco to your favorite corps
29. Attend a DCI Fan Roundtable discussion to join in the discussion and to learn more about the current state of the junior drum corps activity… then help spread the word to others
30. Plan a road trip with friends to a DCI Premier Event that you’ve never visited before
31. Help promote DCI and its member corps to local civic groups, such as Rotary International, Lions Club, Elks, Masonic Lodges, etc.
32. Create a charitable trust to benefit your favorite corps
33. Check corps’ wish lists for supplies and equipment and help them locate donations of the items they need
34. Talk with your employer about becoming a DCI Corporate Partner
35. Designate a favorite corps for donations in lieu of gifts at your next birthday party or anniversary
36. Share information on parade and additional performance opportunities along the summer tour
37. Subscribe to DCI’s Field Pass podcast through iTunes. It’s free!
38. Join the Facebook and Twitter pages of your favorite corps and DCI
39. Drop off spare change at the merchandise trailer of your favorite corps at every DCI event
40. Charter a bus from your hometown and load it up with friends and neighbors for a day trip to a DCI Premier Event
41. Become or recommend an intern
for DCI or your favorite corps
42. Commemorate the season by purchasing a DCI Souvenir Yearbook
43. Refer an age-eligible student for membership in an Open Class or World Class corps
44. Volunteer your marketing and public relations skills to your favorite corps. There are a number of ways you can help right from your own home!
45. Host a Fan Network viewing party during a live Webcast event
46. "Pass the hat" at your viewing party and donate the proceeds to your favorite corps
47. Donate DCI DVDs or VHS tapes to your local library or band room
48. Help promote DCI events in your community by hanging posters and flyers available from your favorite corps, or from local Tour Event Partners or DCI
49. Get together with friends or corps alums prior to an event for a "tailgate party" in the stadium parking lot or suitable nearby watering hole
50. Become a member of the Friends of DCI
51. Set and send Outlook, Gmail, iCal or other Web/E-mail calendar invites for the summer tour events you’ll be attending to your friends and family
52. Donate airline miles to your favorite corps
53. Talk with your local band director or civic group about hosting a DCI
Open Class or World Class event as a fundraiser
54. Book your hotel room for the DCI World Championships through DCI.org/IndyHotels
55. Advertise on DCI.org
56. Pre-order a World Championships DVD set for a current corps member
57. Host a golf tournament, silent auction, wine tasting or other fundraising event on behalf of your favorite corps
58. Play your favorite corps performances in the office lunch room to introduce your coworkers to the drum corps activity
59. Donate the proceeds from a yard sale or the sale of an old vehicle to your favorite corps
60. Thank a corps or event volunteer at a DCI Tour event
61. Take the time after an event to tell corps members how much you enjoyed their performance
62. Make an effort to be at the stadium early to watch each corps’ performance from beginning to end
63. Give a standing ovation to each performing group as they come off the field
64. During big sporting events such as the Super Bowl, March Madness, World Series, etc., host your own bracket or pool and ask everyone for an entry fee donation. Donate a portion (or all) of the proceeds to your favorite corps.
65. Let your friends know which DCI events you’ll be attending on the status of your Facebook or Twitter account
66. Repost your favorite DCI.org news items to Facebook or Twitter.
67. Include a link in your e-mail signature to the 2010 DCI Tour Schedule or the Web sites of your favorite corps.
68. Wear your favorite DCI or corps apparel to the office, gym or while you’re out running errands. You never know who you might run into!
69. Send an e-mail to your entire address book, encouraging your friends to check out a DCI event
70. Create and post a YouTube video telling people why you’re looking forward to the start of the 2010 DCI Tour
71. Donate bags of ice to a corps rehearsal location. (Ice is a luxury item for most corps on tour!)
72. Use “2 for 1” coupons at the supermarket, and donate your extra boxes of cereal, powdered drink mix, trash bags and cleaning supplies to a corps this summer
73. Check your LinkedIn network or contact list to uncover new networking opportunities which could benefit your favorite corps
74. Send a Staples or Office Max gift card to your favorite corps. Their office staff will love you for it!
75. Tell a colleague or neighbor about a great experience you’ve had thanks to the drum corps activity