Competitive Edge: 7/30-8/5
A look back at the week that was and the week ahead on the 2012 DCI Tour
The 2012 Drum Corps International TourMonday, Aug. 6 through Saturday, Aug. 11
High scores of the week
Blue Devils (95.10), Aug. 3, Allentown, PA
Oregon Crusaders (89.75), Aug. 3, Avon Lake, OH
High caption scores of the week by section
Brass: TIE — Carolina Crown (19.4), Aug. 1, West Chester, PA and Carolina Crown (19.4), Aug. 3, Allentown, PA
Percussion: Santa Clara Vanguard (19.10), Aug. 1, West Chester, PA
Color Guard: Blue Devils (19.60), Aug. 3, Allentown, PA
Brass: Oregon Crusaders (18.0), Aug. 3, Avon Lake, OH
Percussion: Blue Devils B (18.50), Aug. 3, Oskaloosa, IA
Color Guard: TIE — Spartans (18.30), Aug. 3, Oskaloosa, IA and Oregon Crusaders (18.30), July 30, Erie, PA
View all scores and recaps.
Storylines to watch
• On Saturday night in Allentown, Pa., The Cavaliers came out on top of the battle of Boston and the Midwestern all-male corps. Just seven-tenths of a point separated the Cavaliers (87.75), Boston Crusaders (87.30) and Madison Scouts (87.05).
• Based on averaging total scores over the last week, the top 12 corps at the World Championship Finals would potentially be: 1. Blue Devils, 2. Carolina Crown, 3. The Cadets, 4. Phantom Regiment, 5. Santa Clara Vanguard, 6. Bluecoats, 7. The Cavaliers, 8. Madison Scouts, 9. Boston Crusaders, 10. Spirit of Atlanta, 11. Blue Knights, 12. Blue Stars. The Cadets and Phantom Regiment swapped places since last week's average.
• In the corps below 12th place, Crossmen continue their fight to move out of 13th place. The corps was nine-tenths of a point away from Blue Stars (83.20) at the DCI Eastern Classic
. The only change in overall rankings this week was The Academy falling to 15th place, behind Glassmen.
• In 19 head-to-head matchups in 2012 and after trailing behind Spirit of Atlanta by as many as 5.7 points early in the season, Blue Stars surpassed Spirit for the very first time on Aug. 5 in Pittsburgh, Pa. by two-tenths of a point.
• Carolina Crown's percussion section skyrocketed to a first place finish in Allentown, Pa., after placing seventh a week earlier in Atlanta. The South Carolina-based corps swept the music captions on Friday night.
• Santa Clara Vanguard and Bluecoats joined the 90-point club (members: Blue Devils, Carolina Crown, The Cadets and Phantom Regiment) Saturday night in Allentown, Pa. The two corps passed the 90-point barrier this time last year as well.
• Jersey Surf gained 2.30 points in score between last week in Atlanta and this week in Allentown, Pa. Of the bottom six World Class corps, Jersey Surf was one of the only to make a gain in score from the previous weekend.
• Blue Devils B scored 89.20 on Friday, Aug. 3 in Oskaloosa, Iowa. Just a few states over that same day, Oregon Crusaders inched closer to the 90-point mark by scoring 89.75 in Avon Lake, Ohio. The two were scheduled to go head-to-head in Niles, Mich., but the show was rained out before either took the field.
• Also rained out this week was the Tour of Champions Finale in East Rutherford, N.J. That event would have been the last chance for eight of this season's top corps including the Blue Devils, Carolina Crown, Cadets, Phantom Regiment, Santa Clara Vanguard, Bluecoats, Cavaliers and Boston Crusaders to make a statement on the scoring sheets. All of these corps will not meet head to head again until the DCI World Championship Prelims on Thursday, Aug. 9 in Indianapolis.
This week's upcoming events
Monday, August 6
Michigan City, IN
Tuesday, August 7
Michigan City, IN
Wednesday, August 8
Thursday, August 9
Friday, August 10
Saturday, August 11
View the complete schedule of 2012 World Championship events.