As the entire drum corps community looks ahead to the New Year and the summer of 2009, this week, Drum Corps International recaps some of the highlights of 2008, today with the most popular "DC-eye" fan-photo submissions. "DC-eye" is DCI.org's popular photo-of-the-day feature showcasing images submitted from the lenses of drum corps fans around the world. If you've got a drum corps themed photo you'd like to share, e-mail it to email@example.com, along with a description of where and when it was taken. These five photos from 2008 were the most popular among more than 235 posted DC-eye submissions.
1. Recovering Champions This a photo of Joseph Ricard (Blue Devils A euphonium) and Frances Maurer (Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets color guard) taken on Aug. 9. After the Open Class Quarterfinals in Michigan City, Ind., Frances and her dad drove to visit Joe in Lancaster, Pa., where he is recovering from a neurological condition. Read the complete story behind this photo.
2. Spring Break '08 photo contest winners With the chance to win one of several prizes as part of the DC-eye Spring Break '08 Photo Contest, fans of Marching Music's Major League showed their drum corps spirit during their spring vacations, snapping photos of themselves in exotic locales across the globe. Read the complete story behind this photo.
3. Finding friends among strangers Here is a photo of me and my dear friend Austin Melcher, who is a member of Pioneer. Though we have known each other for several years, this picture was snapped the first time the two of us ever met face-to-face. Read the complete story behind this photo.
4. Sweet 16 tuba line Here is a photo of Carolina Crown's "Sweet 16 Tuba Line" taken during the World Championship Finals in Bloomington after their awesome fourth place finish. Read the complete story behind this photo.
5. Crowning finish This photo was taken during Carolina Crown's Quarterfinals performance in Bloomington, Ind. during the 2008 World Championships. Read the complete story behind this photo.