As the entire drum corps community looks ahead to the new year and the summer of 2009, this week, Drum Corps International recaps some of the highlights of 2008, today with the most viewed DCI.org headlines from the past year.
1. They are Spartacus: Phantom Regiment spears 2008 World Championship title Aug. 10, 2008: Phantom Regiment members proclaimed to the world that they were in fact "Spartacus," battling their way to the top with a come-from-behind victory at the DCI World Championship Finals on Aug. 9. Barely edging the Blue Devils – who had spent the majority of the 2008 DCI Summer Tour undefeated – by only 0.025 points, Phantom Regiment members took their first outright title home to Rockford, Ill., after not having their hands on the World Championship trophy since tying the Blue Devils back in 1996. Read the article.
2. World Class Finals recap analysis August 10, 2008: Looking to find out what went down on the judges' score sheets to mark the closest victory in DCI World Championship history, drum corps fans turned to the informative "recap analysis" to see how each World Class corps earned its final placement during the exciting finale to the 2008 season. Read the article.
3. 2008 Drum Corps International World Championships relocated to Indiana University April 4, 2008: News broke in the spring that the 2008 Drum Corps International World Championships would have to be relocated to Bloomington, Ind. Originally scheduled to be the very first event staged at the brand new Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, a local Indy news channel scooped the story that the state-of-the-art facility would not be completed in time for the scheduled Aug. 7-9 DCI events. Learning of this only four months out, Drum Corps International was forced to jump on an already-in-place contingency plan to move the World Championship events 50 miles south to Indiana University. Read the article.
4. Presenting the 2009 Drum Corps International Summer Tour Nov. 26, 2008: Still hyped from the thrills and chills of the summer of 2008, this fall, drum corps fans were eager to find out when and where events will be staged during the summer of 2009 and which of their favorite corps will be at them. Starting on June 20, the '09 DCI Summer Tour will cover 50 days and 41 states while featuring more than 100 spectacular events. Read the article.
5. Fans choose their six favorite 'Countdown' corps performances March 26, 2008: For Drum Corps International's annual spring cinema event, "The Countdown," drum corps fans around the world had the chance to cast online ballots to select their six favorite corps performances from 2005-2007. During the event, which appeared in more than 300 movie theaters across the country on April 24, fans had a chance to judge the groups they watched, with the results presented in a first-ever Web-based results show. Read the article.