Drum Corps International fans have an exciting opportunity to learn just what it takes to be a part of Marching Music's Major League in Florida this weekend.
Carolina Crown will present a Live Learning Event July 11 before the DCI Orlando Premier Event at the Florida Citrus Bowl.
Anyone with a ticket to the evening's event can come a few hours early to get an inside look at the experience of rehearsing and marching as a member of a World Class drum corps and learn tricks of the trade to bring home.
Learn more about the DCI Orlando event.
The complete schedule is as follows:
2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.: Sectional Technique Sessions
Percussion (Soccer Field) With percussion caption supervisor and arranger Lee Beddis and staff
- Experience battery warm-up
- Hear how percussion works through playing with the demands of marching (the tracking technique)
- Field level and up-close
Brass (Stadium) With brass caption supervisor Matt Harloff and staff
- Experience the brass technique from in the warm-up circle
- Listen to the staff talk through creating the "wall of sound"
- Technique used to prepare for ensemble rehearsal
- Field level and in the circle
Color Guard (Baseball Field) With color guard caption supervisor and designer Adam Sage and staff
- Experience technique exercises for flag and weapons
- Learn how dance becomes an important part of the process
3:30 p.m. – 5 p.m.: Ensemble rehearsal at the stadium with Crown designers and caption heads
Full corps ensemble
- Experience how to work through the ensemble rehearsal
- Learn the field technique and rehearsal etiquette
- Viewing from stands only with staff commentary directed to clinic participants
- Ending with a private viewing of Carolina Crown's 2009 production "The Grass is Always Greener"
Jim Coates, program coordinator for Carolina Crown, said hosting educational events benefits everyone.
"The way we structure our clinics, it's really still a rehearsal for the members." he said at the recent Live Learning Event in Normal, Ill. "They get to utilize the stadium environment and have an opportunity to perform for a smaller, more intimate, crowd."
Crown runs educational events throughout the year, including a recent educational event in collaboration with Music for All.
Three other Live Learning Events will be held as part of the 2009 Drum Corps International Tour. The Blue Devils will host on July 22 in Hattiesburg, Miss., Boston Crusaders will follow suit on July 24 in Murfreesboro, Tenn., and Spirit will wrap up the 2009 event series in Gadsden, Ala., also on July 24. Don't miss out on these thrilling opportunities!