For the first time ever, fans, current and former performers, educators, and anyone and everyone interested in the exciting world of competitive marching music will be given the opportunity to go “behind the curtain” to explore the remarkable people and unique processes which are used to evaluate, rank and rate the world’s premier ensembles for student musicians and performers.
Streamed live from Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis during the 2021 Drum Corps International Celebration Events on August 12 & 13, this unique two-day webinar will provide a never-before-seen look at the art and science of top-tier evaluation; through the eyes, ears and experience of seasoned DCI adjudicators.
“Although the performances on the field in Indianapolis this summer will take place in a more relaxed, unjudged exhibition environment, we realized that we have a perfect opportunity to offer unparalleled access and insight into the process of evaluating these remarkable ensembles,” said John Phillips, DCI Judge Administrator. “We are thrilled to partner with the fine folks at Conn-Selmer to go behind the scenes and share some of the many details of judging which are often considered to be somewhat “mysterious” to those seated in the audience.”
YOU BE THE JUDGE! — NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED!
Who should attend:
• Anyone who has ever been curious about how marching bands, drum corps, and other marching music performing arts ensembles are assessed and evaluated
• Those aspiring to pursue opportunities to adjudicate marching arts activities
• Current judges seeking further insights into judging philosophy and process
• Future music educators interested in learning how healthy competition can enhance their programs
• High school and college students interested in how bands are evaluated
Go backstage for an unprecedented inside look at all aspects of judging. Here’s what you’ll learn from the comfort of your own home:
• The Art and Science of Judging – How to make the impossible, possible
• What are they saying on those recorders? – Understanding the commentary
• Is it Marching or Movement? – Visual design in the 21st Century
• Judges are real people too – A personal look at the people who judge
• How do I become a judge? – Do you have what it takes?
• Up close and personal – A view from the field
• That’s why there’s more than one judge – inside the judging system
• Focus on the percussion – The “D” in DCI
• You be the Judge! – Practice with scoring and placements
• The Big Picture – Understanding effect