BANDtastic! Honor Bands
What is BANDtastic?
BANDtastic! is a program of Drum Corps International designed to celebrate the commitment to excellence made by middle school music programs all across the United States.
Participation in this program motivates middle school students to consider the arts as they make important skills development decisions for their high school years and beyond, and impact lifelong arts behaviors.
Students who participate in the BANDtastic! program will enjoy the following opportunities:
- Experience a once-in-a-lifetime performance in front of thousands of spectators as a part of the national schedule of DCI Tour events
- Take part in rehearsals and sectionals with professional artists and engaging educational clinicians
- Participate in a Kick It In! educational leadership session with industry renowned motivational speaker Fran Kick that is specifically designed to inspire and excite the minds of middle school students
- Take part in additional structured activities that promise to be packed full of engaging performances and speakers
- Tickets to the corresponding DCI Tour event and the opportunity to observe performances from the “best-of-the-best” marching music ensembles
- Exclusive BANDtastic! gear and “Swag” bags
How does it work?
1) Band directors nominate* students they feel have demonstrated a high level of commitment to their music departments. Criteria is at the discretion of the director and can be based on a variety of factors from musical talent, to merit, to involvement, to need.
2) Students are selected and accepted to the band based on their nominations. Every school that nominates will have at least two students accepted. Once registered, students will receive the music to rehearse in advance.
3) Accepted students get to experience a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to rehearse, perform and connect with other outstanding local musicians!
Where does it happen?
Application opportunities for the 2020 INpact band will be announced at a later date.
Don't see your state listed? Please contact BANDtastic@dci.org or fill out this online interest form to let us know where you’d like to see BANDtastic! go next!
How can I get involved?
• Fill out the online interest form to receive more information about getting involved with the BANDtastic! program.
• Nominate your students: The link to the online nomination form and deadline will be posted as soon as it is available. Submit your contact information through the interest form above to stay up to date with all things BANDtastic!
• Volunteer as a sectional instructor: Experience the magic of BANDtastic! alongside your students! Volunteer as a sectional instructor to help lead small group rehearsals during the program. Volunteers receive a BANDtastic! T-shirt, all meals included in the student program and tickets to the corresponding DCI Tour event at no charge.
For more information about the BANDtastic! Honor Band program, please email BANDtastic@dci.org or call Elaine Toon, DCI Groups and Special Activities Coordinator, at (317) 275-1216.