Competitive Edge: 6/25-7/1
A look back at the week that was and the week ahead on the 2012 DCI Tour
The 2012 Drum Corps International TourMonday, June 25 through Sunday, July 1
High scores of the week
Blue Devils (80.25), July 1, Riverside, CA
Oregon Crusaders (75.20), July 1, Tri Cities, WA
High caption scores of the week by section
High caption scores are figured from events that used an eight-judge panel.
Brass: Blue Devils (16.4), July 1, Riverside, CA
Percussion: Blue Devils (16.0), July 1, Riverside, CA
Color Guard: Blue Devils (15.7), July 1, Riverside, CA
Brass: Oregon Crusaders (15.2), July 1, Tri Cities, WA
Percussion: Gold (13.8), July 1, Riverside, CA
Color Guard: 7th Regiment (13.1), June 30, Lynn, MA
View all scores and recaps.
Storylines to watch
• Madison Scouts topped their Midwestern rival Cavaliers for the first time in more than a decade Friday, June 29. In Muncie, Ind., the Madison Scouts took second place with a 72.80 to the Cavaliers’ third-place score of 71.70. The last time the Scouts put up a higher score than the Green Machine was 14 years ago on July 5, 1998 in Michigan City, Ind., scoring 79.60 to the Cavaliers’ 79.40. The two corps will next meet on July 3 in Cedarburg, Wis.
• Since taking third place at the season opener in Akron, Ohio on June 16, Carolina Crown has strung together an eight-show streak, with their most recent victory on June 30 in Michigan City, Ind. As a World Class corps, Crown has twice put together a 10-show winning streak, in 2009 from June 26 to July 14 and again in 2010 from June 18 to July 7.
• Blue Devils remain the only World Class corps on the 2012 DCI Tour with the opportunity to have an undefeated season. The corps also became the first to break 80 points this week, doing so on July 1 in Riverside, Calif. with a score of 80.25.
• Blue Devils B continue an early-season undefeated streak, though their perennial rivals, the Vanguard Cadets, continue to narrow the gap. After losing to BDB on June 22 in Clovis, Calif. by 2.15 points, a day later in Stanford the gap was 1.6 and on June 26, SCVC was just 0.2 points down in Santa Clara, Calif. The two corps will meet again on July 7 in Sacramento, Calif.
• Oregon Crusaders put up their first score of the season on June 29 in Hillsboro, Ore. Scoring 72.10, the corps became the very first and only Open Class corps so far this season to break the 70-point mark.
Spirit of Atlanta
• 7th Regiment found themselves ahead of the Spartans for the first time in four years on June 30 in Lynn, Mass. Although the two corps tied on July 17, 2010 in Groton, Conn., it hasn’t been since July 12, 2008 that 7th has been ahead of the Spartans. Spartans, however, continue to keep things close this summer. On July 1 in New Haven, Conn., the two corps tied at 64.70. They will next face each other on July 6 in Quincy, Mass.
• Jersey Surf was just 2.4 points away from the Colts on June 30 in Lynn, Mass. Since becoming a World Class corps in 2009, Surf has never finished closer than 6.7 points away from the Iowa corps.
• Scores continue to climb as the 2012 DCI Tour marches along. World Class corps who have surpassed 70 points include: The Cadets (June 16), Carolina Crown (June 17), Phantom Regiment (Jun 19), Bluecoats (June 20), The Cavaliers (June 21), Santa Clara Vanguard (June 22), Blue Devils (June 22), Spirit (June 23), Madison Scouts (June 23), Boston Crusaders (June 26), Crossmen (July 1).
• In the third week of the 2012 Drum Corps International Tour, Raiders (July 3, Bristol, RI) will make their first performance of the season.
This week's upcoming events
Monday, July 2
Tuesday, July 3
Wednesday, July 4
Parades across the United States
Thursday, July 5
No events scheduled.
Friday, July 6
Qunicy, MAWhitewater, WICasper, WY
Saturday, July 7
Sunday, July 8
Pleasant Hill, CA
View the complete 2012 DCI Tour schedule.
Photos: Jessica Skogh, Chris Maher, corpsreps.com